Friday, August 6, 2010

straight off the rock

Living in Alberta, you run into a lot of Newfies.
Usually, you can identify them by their distinctive accents - but other times just by their exuberant friendliness.
The one i ran into in Costco was the latter. She didn't have a trace of an accent, but as she rang through my 2 big containers of blueberries, she gushed, "ohhhhh, i had newfie blueberry bread for breakfast this morning. It's the best. The BEST!!"
When Neil & i mentioned that we had never tried blueberry bread, she started calling her colleagues over, "Hey! i need someone to cover my till!!" & then to me, "Don't go anywhere! i've got the recipe in my locker!"
Neil & i smiled at each other as she jogged to her locker & came back with the recipe. Beaming, she told me how it had been passed down from her great grandmother & that she had made it that very morning for another Newfie who was "straight off the rock".
i made it this morning.
It was sweet - but not nearly as sweet as the Newfie who gave it to me.
************************************************************


Blueberry Nut Bread
2 eggs, well beaten
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons melted butter
3 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup chopped nuts (i skipped these)

Beat eggs well, gradually add sugar and mix thoroughly. Add milk & melted butter. Sift dry ingredients into the liquids; stir only until blended. Carefully fold in blueberries and nuts.
Pour into a large greased loaf pan (about 11x41/2") Bake at 350' for 50-60 minutes.

4 comments:

Jen said...

I was wondering what I was going to do with my bowl of blueberries in the fridge (we're getting a little sick of blueberry muffins...)
Now I know :)

Lori-Dawn said...

Awwww MAN!! I knew I should have bought a small basket of blueberries at the farmer's market last night!! I wonder if it would work with raspberries??? Sounds yummy! I love it when we run into people like that too!

Denise said...

Blueberries were on for 79 cents a little thing at No Frills in Wainwright -- I'll have to try this "family" recipe... Mum and Dad are off to the rock in a week (leaving the 14th)... I think the call is no longer "go west young man" it is "go east old people!"

Lots of Newfies here too -- one is a grandma of a girl that was in Isobel's preschool and play and stay group so we've had some interesting chats...

Thanks again for the interesting sounding recipe...

Hillary said...

What's a Newfie???

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

playlist