Another sheet of loose leaf -
CAIRO - GRADE 2
i promised myself i'd do this every year - to keep me going when i've got nothing left. It's July 22nd 2003. Cairo's going into grade 2 - i've got one delicious year of homeschooling under by belt. (*a promise i haven't kept, obviously - since i had completely forgotten i had done these!)
HIGHLIGHTS FROM LAST YEAR
- oral presentations (egypt, bugs, leather etc...)
- memorization (psalm 1, psalm 150, Little Boy Blue etc...)
- READING!! FREEDOM!!
- Read alouds! (sonlight, such fun snuggle time!)
WHY I STILL WANT TO HOMESCHOOL
Last year opened my eyes to so many positive effects of homeschooling. The one on one is amazing. The sibling relationships is something i'm trying to continue to cultivate - & closeness to mom & dad - & most importantly to keep God in the forefront of her learning. i've seen her weaknesses (& been watching Sloanie, Peyton & Charter too for what might & might not work) & i'm doing my best to strengthen her as well as letting her SOAR with her strengths. Neil & i have some bright, amazing children.
I BELIEVE / MY VISION FOR CAI
- Cairo is not ready for the public school system - she is still a gentle bud & i want her to grow.
- Cairo is a gift to this family in leading by example - work ethic, obedience, honesty & kindness to the other children - & she can best be this example IN the home.
- opportunities for teaching our Christian worldview will occur even more often this year & i want to be there & ready.
- as we continue to read good books & learn interesting things - Cairo will begin to hunger for knowledge.
- The routine of chores, school, good use of free time & service to others. (i don't feel i finished this from last year & with Sloanie starting kindergarten, i feel it's even more important).
- develop her reading skills - keep her drive & enjoyment.
- rediscover the love of writing (give me wisdom, God...) & develop her love of language & poetry.
- math drills - SPEED (even if we don't move ahead as fast).
- memorize scripture (1vs/week minimum)
- swimming level 5 (Sloanie maybe to 3?)
- singing & piano.
- gymnastics (at least 1 cycle)
- supplement History with TEAMS (our homeschool support group at the time) (1900's -1950's)
- daily devotional & prayer time.