Wednesday, April 14, 2010

if i could retire...

if i could retire one piece of motherhood, it would bedtime.
Hands down.
i'm tired,
they're tired...
We're all a whole lotta tired.
So, why is bedtime such an issue?
Especially when daddy's away.
As i type this, Gagey is in my bed talking *loudly* - so that Ephraim (in his cradle) can't quite get to sleep, so he's grunting... & out of the corner of my eye, in the dim light, i can see mollen crouched in the corner.
i told her she can go downstairs (to sleep with Granny) when she promises to go straight to sleep and not bug anyone. Instead, she has been camped out in the corner of my room for 20 minutes. i'm starting to wonder if she's gonna spend the night there.
Earlier today, i told Cairo that she was being given an opportunity to respond with grace when faced with the temptation to let her temper take control.
My words mock me now :)
But they're still true.
God, give me the grace i need to act gracefully - to mother lovingly - to discipline gently.

7 comments:

Lisa said...

I can totally relate to this post. Bedtime is a gong show around here every night. And then the middle of the night games too... Last night I had 4 out of 5 kids in my bed at one point or another. AGHHHH!!!!

deborah said...

ugh. Bedtime is my least favourite too.

Treasured Grace said...

Me too!! Bedtime just sucks!
I love how you said Cairo had the "opportunity" to respond with grace...
WOW, what an opportunity, one I would not have seen, had you not stated it like that. To me its always like a battle to respond with grace, not an opportunity.
I'm gonna post that word up in my house to remind me:) OPPORTUNITY
Thanks

Lori-Dawn said...

Guilt...huge guilt...I fail miserably at bedtimes...sigh...apparently I need to realize that I'm given the opportunity as well to act with grace...sigh...I sometimes hate words of wisdom like that...you know? It's so much easier to lose it...but the guilt afterward soooo sucks...learning self control...still...lol

Denise said...

... so why do you put the kids to bed at 8:30 p.m. and then they are still fooling around at 9:40 p.m. -- and then they won't get up in the morning.... So frustrating! If anyone knows how you can change that aspect, let me know!

Saskatchewan Cousin

Lesley said...

Do you mind if I steal the..."opportunity to respond with grace" comment? I may just get that tattooed on my forehead...You now have the opportunity to respond with grace. Beautiful.
Lx

paige said...

hee hee lesley -

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

playlist