Friday, September 11, 2009

taking charter to the midwife...

i decided since it's such a relaxed atmosphere at the midwives, it's easy to drive to & there's a parking lot so i don't need neil to chauffeur me, that i would take each of the littles on a date to at least one of my midwife appointments.
Neil came with me to my first one, as i don't have the courage to bring a wee one before we've heard that tender beating heart...
But Wednesday was my second appointment & by luck of the draw, Charter got the first turn.
The last thing he said to me at night before he went to bed was, "Thanks for taking me tomorrow, mom!!!!"
In the morning, his first thought was what time we would have to leave to get to "hear the heartbeat!" We zipped through school that morning - and decided to take our reader with us so we'd have something to do in the waiting room.
As we pulled onto the highway, he sighed, "mom, i'd be happy if you & me were just *going somewhere* today... like, for a few days... on a trip... that would make me happy."
"Me too, buddy." i sighed... what a honey.
He then pulled out his Frog and Toad book & chortled & laughed his way through 2 stories as i negotiated traffic & we finally arrived at the midwives office.
My appointment was a quick in & out type thing - we chatted, listened for a minute to that precious sound, which Charter proclaimed was a "cute sound"... & before we knew it, we were climbing back in our big old rusted white Yukon for the drive home.
As he pulled his seatbelt across his muscly little chest, he sighed to me, "Mom, that was the funnest thing *ever*."
How did i get so lucky?
It made me melt for the little one growing inside - that little appointment that was kept on babe's behalf - and it made me melt for the little man who rode along because he's already in love with the wee sibling that's coming.
i love how we all grow & stretch and make room for the next babe & yet somehow, before they're even here, babe has given so much more than they've taken...
Just another one of life's little miracles...

5 comments:

mama_mel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa said...

Oh, I so know what you mean - that Baby gives more than s/he takes away, even before the big arrival... so tender!! Yay for Charter - he sounds like a neat little guy!

Melissa said...

P.S. - that other comment that was deleted? 'Twas mine. Signed in with the wrong information!! :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds to me that you are lucky to have the services of a midwife. Just finished reading an article in the Lloydminster newspaper that says Alberta has a severe shortage of midwives now that Alberta Health Care is funding them and that a lot of women can't get a midwife and consequently can't have the birth experience that they desire. So count yourself lucky!

Saskatchewan Cousin

paige said...

denise, you are totally right... i am *very* lucky. i was too nervous/shy to book my first appointment till i was already well into the first trimester... i was lucky they took me (fudging my dates by a couple of days so i'd count as a february momma). Hopefully the supply & demand will even out as Alberta catches up with some other provinces that have funded midwives for years...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

playlist