Tuesday, September 21, 2010

surprised by the amens...

from yesterdays post...
i know - nobody actually *said* amen...
but so many of you meant it.
Not about Neil telling me not to get any ideas - but about feeling a tugging sense of conviction about the little needy ones *right in our city*.
& so maybe i will take a minute to ramble a bit of the thoughts that go through my head when i hear the words 'foster care'.
i'm scared of letting the government into my home.
That's a big one for me. i have seven children who i am raising with very little scrutiny. Opening our home would mean inviting the scrutiny of a government that holds vastly differing views on children and family than i do.
Neil told me he needs to be stringing some nights of sleep in a row before we could even begin to discuss such an enormous idea. & so yes... it's not something that looks likely or imminent for our family - but it's something that won't leave me alone... i've looked into it before... even looking up the dates of the next informational meeting... tossing the idea over in my head - wondering if God would ever ask us to do something more than ache for the little ones that we know are out there...

5 comments:

Lisa said...

That is absolutely my fear as well Paige. I *totally* get where you are coming from.

Alicia said...

Just catching up with your blog today and LOVE the idea. Adam and I have talked a long long time (before we even had our babes) about adopting. We have a load of tribal children that are 'in the system' and need some love...I think it's so beautiful for a family to *give* so much to a needy little one. And I think it shows how big your heart is to want to. ((HUGS))

Melissa said...

Oh Paige, absolutely - this would tug at my heart as well. I hear what you're saying about the government scrutiny... tough to let people *in*, but this is also where those unexpected blessings can come in... yes, along with some unexpected criticisms from people who don't *get* you.

I'm *thrilled* for you that Neil actually put a caveat on this subject... it means he's *open* to it at least!! I don't think Graeme would ever go that far...

Praying for God's will to be done in this for you. There is NO doubt that God would use your sweet family to make a huge impact on this very real need...

deborah said...

Funny, I never thought of 'letting' the government in - it is so true. But now that we've gone through our ridiculous homestudy, I feel like we've been invaded already...
Kevin and I have chatted about fostering. The thing that bothers him the most is that we could get really attached...and then have to give the child back. :) I think that's likely a fear most foster parents have.

Jen said...

I've never really thought too much about foster care before (yet). I guess we've been busy being blessed with our own little ones (and probably being selfish). I'd love to think about it more and chat about it with Brian. Something to chew on and see where God leads.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

playlist