Saturday, January 21, 2012
7 quick takes vol. 5
1. Remember when the internet slang for your husband was DH? & now it's, "the hubs"? Neil fits neither handle. But sometimes, we write each other notes (ok, mostly me) & we only address them, "husband" or "wife".
2. Was reminded again this week that you can't compare or measure griefs. i was reading the comments on a blog written by a girl in her 20's whose parents divorced a couple months after she got married... Many of the comments consisted of, "get over yourself", or "move on"... i think i get why she couldn't just yet. That's like my kids telling me when we get in the van to drive to BC to, "BEEEE at Gammy & Gampies!!" Trust me, sometimes you'd like to magically get where you're going, but until we have Star Trek transporter beams, we're gonna be stuck going the slow route...
3. Neil has only been home for 7 days in January (& those were not in a row) - & i'm not expecting him home for another week. Actually he's only scheduled to be home for 10 days total this month. Technology is a pretty amazing thing... we're grateful for it.
4. Cai wants to read the Harry Potter books so that she's culturally literate :) She says she misses jokes sometimes because kids her age all reference that series - so we're reading them at the same time. i like my teens. We were both a little surprised that we thought the books were a little lame tho (on book 3 now)... i was expecting more (better, more creative writing?) from such a controversial series :)
5. Cai came home from church on Sunday & said;
"Mom - heads up: If you hear anyone talking about a poll about teens and their parents, i want you to know how i voted. They asked us 2 questions. If we found ourselves needing advice 1. who would we go to first - friends, parents, teacher/coach or google... and 2. whose advice would mean the most to us out of those same options... i voted parents both times."
Neil chimed in, "Don't you mean, 'mom' both times?"
"Nope - i mean parents."
6. We just finished watching my friend's daughter for 2 weeks. She's 5, so fit nicely into her own little niche in our family. i like her. She's crazy funny & cute.
7. 40 days for life starts in 1 month. This brings up so many emotions in me... i pray for an end to abortion year round, not only during the 40 days - but during those 40 days, there is a concerted effort by prolifers around the world to unite in prayer for those little ones who are lost because their mother's find themselves in a crisis, and our culture has failed to teach better. (Kill the crisis, not the child). At the same time... & this sounds silly to me... but i feel attacked during the 40 days on a very personal spiritual level. i feel vulnerable & weak right now & it has left me utterly dependent on my Good Father. i know i'm safe when i'm where He wants me (& i know He wants me involved in 40 Days) - & so i'll intentionally leave the personal attacks in the hands of My Defender - & continue to pray for the little lives that are taken daily in our country and around the world. i'll continue to bring this horrible injustice to my Father - who is perfectly just. If you want to get involved, message me - or follow our blog here: http://www.calgary40dfl.blogspot.com/
ps - i realize it's saturday... i'm a little slow pokish these days.