Wednesday, July 22, 2009

When i first met your father...

Dear Little Ones,
When i first met your father, he was 10... maybe 11. His family visited in the winter & then proceeded to move in the summer. i remember him being the new boy.
His mom must have bought him some new clothes for the school year - 'cause when i saw him in church, he was all decked out. He had on a purple polka dotted silk shirt - tucked into what must have been wrangler jeans, and some bright white loafers. We were almost the same height - he was maybe a little taller - but his enormous feet hinted that his height might one day catch up to them in size. He had obviously experimented with Sun-in, as his hair was a bright orangish hue - styled in that famous long in the back, spiky on top cut & his glasses were larger than life... as well suited to his surroundings in 1989 as he is now, though he looks much different, in 2009.
Some things have stayed the same though... He had rough, tanned hands that were obviously used to work. His skin - after being in the sun for about 5 minutes, looks like a bronzed statue. He never tries to be the center of attention -& he finds it easy to choose to do 'the right thing'. It's easy for me to believe that that little boy became the man of my dreams, the father of my babies & the one i love.
'Cause when he looks at me -
like he did back then -
in long, unhurried gazes -
my heart still skips a beat.

4 comments:

Mindy said...

That's so sweet! I wish I could remember the first day I met my husband. The first few months are a bit blurry, but I do have some choice teenaged memories too. Don't you love having so many (early) years of memories? I do!

jessica jespersen said...

haa haa! Your description of the style of that era. I remember the Beselt Boys' arrival too. He's still pretty dapper after all these years. I may have to do a "response" to this one. Very precious keepsake of recorded memory. As usual, you are a genius with your writing p. -j

Lori-Dawn said...

I thought the same thing Jessica! It made me want to write my own meeting your father story!! Fun fun!

paige said...

Haha! i always like to start a trend! Lemme know when your posts are up!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

playlist