Notice anything in my sidebar? *wink wink* Check out the "about me" part of my profile... one tiny detail has changed. See it??!!
Yup, no more dozen.
We're up one... to lucky number 13.
When i married Neil, i can't say that i ever wondered what our future 13 years from that date would look like.
i was obsessed with our present. Being a new wife, momma - starting my new career, seemed to be the end... "and they lived happily ever after..."
Maybe i sorta figured i'd always have my teenager husband with his ribs sticking out...
i didn't really picture him with little greys starting to peek through - & his hands sprinkled with scars from working hard - & teeny laugh lines starting to form around his eyes.
i didn't know he would eventually trade his beloved work clothes for dress shirts.
i didn't know he would trade hours, months, years of hard work for a confident love of his job & his ability to do it well.
i didn't know he would remain so devilishly handsome throughout the next 13 years - & that i'd maybe even think he was more dapper than ever in the spring of '09. *hehe*
i probably believed that *this* was as deep as love can get.
His hazel eyes would lock on mine & i'd get that feeling - deep in my stomach - that he loved me... & that there was no more perfect place in this world than in his presence.
But now, 13 years have passed.
Would you believe me if i said that he still makes my stomach turn upside down when he enters a room?
Joy, tension, laughter, reconciliation, moments of tenderness, grief, humour, silence, sorrow, turbulance, tears, racket, kindness, protection - these things have all been a part of our last 13 years.
& oh, the love that has grown from them. The stretching without tearing - the bending without breaking - the sacrifice without bitterness.
o the love.
The shared memories make us stronger.
We were talking this morning about our wedding day & Neil said, 'i can hardly remember back that far...' & i found that it was true for me too... Seems so long ago all of a sudden. So in honour of our anniversary & the fact that neither one of us can remember what we did last week let alone 13 years ago, i give you:
13 recent small sweetnesses for 13 years of bliss -
* Strawberries & cream in bed - Gage woke up & stole most of them... but that just adds to the sweetness - teeny birdie with sweet open mouth...
* Flowers on my kitchen counter this morning.
* An invitation to 'come be with me' in the office...
* Rollerblading on Sunday afternoon... (in case you're wondering about my scabbed elbow & bruised hand... hehe)
* Coffee brewed this morning
* Supper plans tonight
* our famously short emails: paige: i.love.you. neil: and me you.
* He kept trying to hold my hand on Sunday.
* i let him.
* He only made fun of me once when i ate a whole bunch of jalopenos & made myself sick this week.
* He got his haircut for our date tonight.
* i gave him a haircut.
* He told me he loves my love of work. 'S a funny compliment - but it's so Neil.
& so, at this moment - 13 years in - (i joked to my sister that we're at our 'half marathon' mark). i am so grateful for my good man - this sweet marriage - this beautiful family.
What a gift.