Thursday, December 18, 2008

Broken Promises

After my post on Promises...
There's the inevitable turn of thought to Broken Promises.
Why inevitable?
Because we're human... because we're broken... because we try & we fail...
Because even more so with marriage, when there are *two* human, broken, failing people involved ~ promises get broken.
Broken promises suck.
Broken promises ripple out in circles of pain & affect many.
& yet, i've seen promises get broken, forgiveness saught, reconciliation achieved...
Seems at this moment there is a little battle going on in my mind...
God is big...
We're hard-hearted...
God can fix things...
We won't humble ourselves to allow Him to...
It's at times like this, that i want God to use the sledgehammer...
He's done that for me before ~ broken my useless, hard heart... snapped my stiff neck...
Father, mold me,
change me....
Fill me....
But, He will do what He will do in others ~ no matter what i *wish* would happen... no matter what i *hope* changes... No matter how much i wish i could see reconciliation and love win the day.
Promises get broken...
Except promises made by God.
So, when we're hurt, broken, bleeding.... suffering from confusion, doubt and the seeming betrayal of a promise broken ~ we can still rest in the knowledge that:
God is Good.
God loves us.

& He will never change His mind.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right.... broken promises suck... big time...

And they do affect many...

Like the little boy who cried when they Elementary School Choir was supposed to be singing Christmas carols at the school family night last evening.... all because his Daddy and his Granny wouldn't come to share a special evening with him. (My personal opinion is a large part of the reason they wouldn't come is that Granny doesn't want to see or have anything to do with Mummy). He was still upset hours later at bedtime -- so for once I let him sleep with me...

How do you explain to a kid that I can't personally MAKE Daddy and/or Granny (or people in general) do what we would like them to do (and what we perceive is right for them to do).

And broken promises suck when you have to pack up your 3 year old to be handed over at 10 a.m. -- of course she was happy to go with Daddy but the house is deathly quiet without her lilting voice and the constant activity that she brings to each and every day...

And they suck even more when Daddy is crying because he can't find a partner and doesn't like being alone and is stressed because Granny is visiting and because he has no job -- but he didn't want to put the effort in to his relationship (when he had one) -- and he wipes his eyes as he drives away with the little girl in the fancy rental car.

What does it profit a man if he loses his own soul... or his own family...

Yes, Paige, broken promises suck!

Guess I'll go back to my housecleaning for now... just glad I still have my wee lad to pick up from school in a couple hours (he won't go visit until Sunday).

The Saskatchewan Cousin.

Juanita Rose said...

I have had promises broken..I have broken promises...I have been hurt and I have hurt others..thanks be to GOD who always causes us to triumph..THROUGH Jesus..HE never fails..all his promises are YES and AMEN...I was telling my sons today that although it doesn't look like it..the battle has been won..the victor has been crowned..He has saved the day...in our limited time constricted existence we are catching up to that truth...
I Love this post Paige..
HIS word IS TRUTH....
HIS love unwavering...
towards US...
Blessings upon you today...you are one of my favorite things...xox

Mindy said...

Amen, Paige.

jessica jespersen said...

A promise is like yeast isn't it? A living thing. We live in the shadows of promises kept and promises broken... as Sara Groves sings "...Generations will reap what I sow. I can pass on a curse or a blessing to those I may never know..."-j

Lori-Dawn said...

Feeling the pain you have today...many tears, not so much in the words department...hugs to you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

playlist